How to watch SBS On Demand outside Australia
Chris, a UK-born media connoisseur, is an expert in watching international TV. Known as "The Global Screen Wanderer", he has travelled extensively across the globe with long stints away from home. With over 10 years of experience he has become the go-to guru for streaming content from home and abroad.
In this beginner’s guide you’ll learn how you can watch SBS On Demand outside Australia from any country in the world. Best of all you won’t need to be a rocket scientist to do it. It only takes 6 simple steps which we’ll explain below.
SBS On Demand is one of the best online streaming services in Australia. In fact for the choice of shows and programmes, it’s probably one of the best in the world.
However, if you’re outside Australia then you’ll be blocked from watching. We all know Aussies love travelling, in fact they’re one of the most travelled bunch but still, SBS On Demand is blocked.
The good news is there is a really easy to use app called a VPN which will allow you to watch SBS On Demand in any country in the world.
Watch SBS On Demand outside Australia
If you’ve already tried to watch SBS On Demand outside Australia then you will have seen the dreaded “Sorry, Due to publishing rights, the content you are trying to watch is currently not available outside of Australia” message.
To unblock SBS On Demand you need to get yourself an app called a VPN which are available for Windows, Mac, Android and Apple devices. A VPN will set you back about AU$9 per month and they’re cheaper if you subscribe for a longer period.
They’re really easy to use though and you can be watching SBS On Demand anywhere in under 5 minutes. Just follow the instructions below.
How to watch SBS On Demand outside Australia:
- Visit the VPN provider IPVanish by clicking here and sign-up to their service. There’s a 7-day money back guarantee if you can’t get it working which removes any risk, but we’re pretty sure you won’t have any trouble using it.
- Go to the Apps area of the IPVanish website and download and install the correct app for your device type.
- Open the app and then login with the account details you created when signing up.
- In the bottom right corner of the app select Australia (1.) from the country section.
- Now simply press Connect (2.). It’ll take about 15 – 30 seconds for the app to make connection.
- Once connected visit the SBS On Demand website where you can watch anything you want.
You can watch anything on SBS On Demand as if you were at home in Australia.
If you don’t already have an SBS On Demand account then you’ll need to create one but then you’re free to watch any of the content from any country in the world.
When you’ve finished watching just press Disconnect on the IPVanish VPN app and everything returns to normal. You can reconnect at any time and there are no limits on how much you can use it.
You’re also able to use one account on up to 5 devices at the same time so all the family can watch different shows.
Outside Australia already and don’t have the SBS On Demand app
If you want to watch on a mobile device like a tablet or phone and you don’t have the SBS On Demand app already installed then you’ll need some additional steps.
The first thing to try is to install the SBS On Demand app from your regular app store. If you can install it then just follow the 6-steps above to watch.
You may find because you’re outside Australia you’re unable to install the app so you’ll need to install it first.
How to Install SBS On Demand on an Android device:
- Click Settings and then Security & Privacy.
- Click Unknown Sources. You may not have this option so can continue to the next step
- On your Android device visit : https://apkpure.com/sbs-on-demand/com.sbs.ondemand.android
- Download the latest app of SBS On Demand and install it.
- You can now follow the 6-steps earlier in this guide to watch outside Australia.
How to install SBS On Demand on an iOS device:
If you purchased your mobile or tablet in Australia and you’ve taken it outside you should still be able to install SBS On Demand from the app store in the usual manner.
If you bought your device outside Australia you may not be able to. If that’s the case read this guide over at Gadgethacks on how to install outside of Australia.
Recap How to watch SBS On Demand outside Australia
You can watch SBS On Demand outside Australia and all you’ll need is a simple app called a VPN.
You can get our recommended VPN service by clicking the button below. Once you’ve got it, install their app and then connect to Australia.
You can now watch any of the SBS On Demand content regardless of where you are in the world.