Smart TVs are great and if you’ve got one you’ll know how much more entertainment you can access on them versus a bog standard TV.
I personally wouldn’t go back to a regular TV because I really appreciate being able to access Netflix, YouTube and a whole host of other apps from the TV itself without the need to fire up my computer or tablet.
However, you may not know but it’s possible to get more content on your Smart TV and watch content that is restricted to certain countries or regions. Below I’m going to show you exactly how you can do this.
How do I get access to more TV on my Smart TV
You may have previously heard of VPN apps for things like computers, tablets and smartphones. VPN apps are all the rage these days because they allow you to unblock entertainment content.
For example, if you’ve got an Australian Netflix account you can tap into and watch the American Netflix website. This will give you access to more than 1000 extra movies and TV Shows. It’s not just restricted to Australia or America either.
Unfortunately on most Smart TVs it’s almost impossible to install a VPN app so this solution just isn’t the answer.
The good news is there is an alternative system called SmartDNS which works a little like a VPN in that it enables you to unblock TV content intended for other countries or regions.
SmartDNS doesn’t encrypt your internet connection like a VPN does so it’s not suitable for protecting your privacy. If you’re after streaming content of questionable legality then give SmartDNS a miss.
It will however unblock region locked content so you can watch more entertainment on your Smart TV.
How to get a SmartDNS service
To get a SmartDNS service you need to sign up to a provider such as StrongVPN who offer a VPN service that comes with a free SmartDNS service.
You should follow the instructions below to sign-up for a SmartDNS service.
- Visit the website of StrongVPN and sign-up to their service. They have a huge 30-day money back guarantee so it’s risk free.
- Once you’ve signed up head over to the member’s page at their SmartDNS service page. Login with the account details you created when you signed up.
- At the Setup page select the region nearest to you and press Save.
- Write down the two sets of numbers given at Primary and Secondary DNS.
- You should now enter those two settings on your SmartTV. Further instructions for each type of TV can be seen later in this guide.
You’ll now be able to access more content on your SmartTV. If you have apps that are region blocked or services like Netflix you can now watch more content.
For example on Netflix you can change the region on the StrongDNS website and access the American catalogue that has up to 1000 more movies and TV shows than most other regions.
Other apps like BBC iPlayer are restricted to the United Kingdom, you can now watch this in any country if your SmartTV has the app.
Below we’ve listed guides for setting up on Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Sony Smart TVs.
How to set-up SmartDNS on a Samsung Smart TV
You should refer to your Samsung manual on how to change DNS Settings in the Network area of your Smart TV because each model of TV is different.
As a quick reference the steps below will work on most Samsung Smart TVs:
- Go to the Settings area on your Samsung Smart TV. Press Network and then Network Settings.
- You’ll need to run a test first so press Start. Once the test is complete press on the IP Settings option.
- On the ‘DNS Mode‘ section change the setting to Manual.
- If there are settings already entered, write these down for future reference.
- Now enter the new IP Settings which are the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS settings you got from the StrongDNS Members area page, then press OK.
- Now go to the main menu and open the Smart Hub option. On the Smart Hub screen press with your TV remote control : Forward 2 8 9 Forward.
- A new window will open. Change the location to ‘United States of America‘ and then click the Next option. Then press Agree.
- You can now go back to the Smart Hub and click Samsung Apps to install new apps from the United States.
You can also select other countries and install their apps too. You can then use the SmartDNS system to unblock the services in your country and watch anywhere in the world.
How to set-up SmartDNS on an LG Smart TV
You should refer to your LG manual for editing your DNS Settings in the Network section of your TV. All LG TVs are different, however a basic guide can be found below that should work on most.
- Open Settings on your LG Smart TV. Select the Network Connection option. Press Start Connection and wait for the system to connect.
- Once it’s connected press on the Other Network List. Select Expert and then select if you have a Wired or Wireless connection.
- If you use Wireless you’ll need to click on AP List and enter your WiFi password. You can skip this if you use a wired connection.
- Now enter the DNS settings you wrote down from the StrongDNS website.
- Save these settings and go back to the main settings menu. From ‘Change country for Premium and LG Smart World‘ click on Manual.
- Select the USA. Now check your channels section and you should have extra channels which you can now watch.
How to set-up SmartDNS on a Panasonic Smart TV
To set up your Panasonic Smart TV you should refer to the instructions manual as it will have the most accurate steps.
Below is a guide which will work on most Panasonic Smart TVs however:
- Select the Setup option. Press ‘Right‘ and access Player Settings.
- Locate and select Network. Now press Network Settings. Then select IP Address/DNS Settings.
- Locate ‘DNS Auto Configuration (DHCP)‘ and choose Off.
- In the Primary and Secondary DNS settings options fill in the details you wrote down at the StrongDNS website.
- Select the Connection Test and make sure you get ‘Pass‘.
You’re now able to use any Smart TV apps that were previously region blocked.
How to set-up SmartDNS on a Sony Smart TV
The best way to set up SmartDNS on your Sony Smart TV is to consult the documentation for your model of TV, it will have the most up to date information.
As a guide below are the settings that will work on most Sony Smart TVs:
- Go to the Setup section of your TV. Press on Network Settings and then on Internet Settings.
- Select either ‘Wired‘ or ‘USB Wireless Setup‘.
- Next select IP Address and Proxy Server. Then choose Custom.
- From ‘IP Address Setting‘ select Auto. Then from ‘DNS Setting‘ select Specify IP Address.
- Now enter the Primary and Secondary DNS settings you wrote down from the StrongDNS website.
- From ‘Proxy Server‘ select No. A confirmation screen will be displayed, select Continue.
- Next press Save and Connect and then press OK.
You’ll now be able to stream from any apps that were previously region blocked.
Don’t forget you can get a SmartDNS service by clicking below to visit my recommended provider.
I’d love to hear what Smart TV you have and what apps you’ve enabled using a SmartDNS service, why not let me and others know in the comments section below?