If you’re looking to watch UK Netflix outside the United Kingdom then this guide is exactly what you need.
In this guide I’m going to show you the beginner-friendly way you can access and stream Netflix UK from any country.
If Netflix was a car it would be a Ferrari, it’s quite possibly the best online streaming service in the world. It has (almost) everything from movies to TV shows and more in between.
One little known fact is the Netflix library differs depending on the country you’re in. No matter where you pay for your account or where you registered it, the country you’re currently in dictates what you get access to and the UK Netflix site is one of the best.
Let’s find out how you can access it in your country.
What you need to stream overseas
If you didn’t know before, different country’s Netflix websites have different content. This can vary widely. Two of the most populated are the American and Japanese Netflix sites, but the UK Netflix site isn’t far behind.
In fact, the UK is the fourth largest Netflix based on content alone just behind the Canadian Netflix site.
What makes the UK Netflix site unique is some of the content isn’t available elsewhere. Movies like I Am Not a Witch, Black Adder’s A Christmas Carol, Sharpe’s Challenge and comedies such as Gangsta Granny, One Night in Istanbul and Jack Whitehall are exclusive to the UK Netflix website.
If you’re outside the UK but you want to watch UK Netflix you’ll need to get an app called a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
A VPN is a 100% legal privacy app available for almost all devices that allows you to disguise your online location so you appear in another country.
Getting a VPN and using one is incredibly easy and you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to make use of it. Below I’ll show you how.
Exclusive offer: Save 49% off
Step-by-step to get watching UK Netflix
To watch British Netflix outside the UK you’ll need to get yourself a VPN service, these are offered by many companies but the one I recommend is ExpressVPN. Most other VPN services don’t work with UK Netflix.
I like ExpressVPN because they’re just that bit more reliable but you’re free to choose as they all do essentially the same job and it works with Netflix.
- Visit your chosen VPN provider such as ExpressVPN by clicking here and sign up for their service. They offer a 30-day money back guarantee in case you run into any problems or can’t get it working.
- Once you’ve signed up go to the Products section of their website and download and install the correct app for your device.
- Open the installed app and when required login with your account details. These are the account details you created at sign up.
- Choose Selected Location (1) and then the United Kingdom (2). Then press Connect.
- It will only take around 30 seconds for the app to connect at which point you should visit the Netflix website like normal.
You will now be able to unblock Netflix from the UK. Try searching for things like “Simon Amstell” or “Curse of the Pink Panther” as they’ll now show up and are exclusive to the British Netflix site.
How to watch British Netflix on a Smart TV
If you’ve got a Smart TV with Netflix installed it will also be possible to watch British Netflix outside the UK as long as you can edit something known as your ‘DNS Settings‘.
See our Smart TV Set-Up guide and follow the instructions to see if it’s possible on your TV.
If you have the correct options then follow the steps below to watch British Netflix outside the UK. For this you don’t need a VPN but instead need a SmartDNS service.
Two of the best SmartDNS services are StrongVPN and SmartDNSProxy. I used StrongVPN but you can choose either.
- Visit the SmartDNS service of your choice such as StrongVPN by clicking here and sign up for their service.
- Now go to the StrongDNS Members Page and login with your account details.
- From the drop-down list select the region that is physically nearest to you and press Save.
- Write down the two sets of numbers next to Primary DNS and Secondary DNS.
- Now go to the Supported Sites (1.) area on the StrongDNS website.
- Press the drop-down arrow (2.) next to Netflix and from the country selection choose United Kingdom (3.).
- On your Smart TV go to the Settings and Network area and edit the DNS Settings to match those you wrote down.
- Save the setting and restart your TV if required.
You’ll now be able to launch the Netflix app on your Smart TV and access the British Netflix catalogue.
A Hardware solution for all other devices
If you’ve got any other type of device that has Netflix on it and either you can’t use a VPN or SmartDNS or the device you want to use is too slow using a VPN such as Firestick then you can get a hardware device to do the same job.
The Invizbox 2 creates a VPN Wi-Fi hotspot or can be used by a wired Ethernet connection that any device that connects to it can appear in any country in the world.
Simply purchase an InvizBox 2 device here and then create a connection for the United Kingdom.
Now connect your device either by Wi-Fi or by wire to the InvizBox 2 and you’ll be able to watch Netflix UK in any country.
The beauty of the InvizBox 2 is you can create other hotspots for different countries allowing you and all your family to choose between different Netflix regions without changing anything or messing about with any set-ups. This is truly the easiest device to watch Netflix UK and other regions on.
A Quick Summary
To watch British Netflix you have multiple choices depending on the type of device you have.
If you have a regular computer, laptop, tablet or phone you need a VPN and you can get my recommended service by clicking the button below.
If you have a Smart TV you’ll need a SmartDNS service and you can find more details about that in the section above.
If you’ve got any other type of device or you want to connect multiple family members on ANY type of device mentioned above then you can get a hardware solution called the InvizBox 2. More details on that in the section above.
You can find out all the exclusive Netflix UK content available on uNoGS.
Ready to enjoy UK Netflix content?
I would love to hear what you’ve been watching on the Netflix UK website so why not let me and others know in the comments section below so we can check out your choices too!