The BBC is one of the biggest and best broadcasters in the world but finding BBC content in Hong Kong can be difficult.
If you’re one of the many Brits in Hong Kong or you just love the BBC’s British TV shows then you’ll want to access the service in Hong Kong. In this guide I’m going to show you the best way to watch the BBC in Hong Kong on a range of different devices.
The quickest way to watch BBC in Hong Kong is to use their online streaming service the BBC iPlayer but if you’ve already tried to watch then you’ll know you’re blocked. Below I’ll show you how you can unblock this and watch on all types of devices from computers to tablets and mobiles.
You can even watch BBC in Hong Kong on a Smart TV if you’ve got the BBC iPlayer app installed. So read on to find out how it’s possible.
Watch BBC in Hong Kong on a computer or laptop
The easiest and quickest way to watch BBC in Hong Kong is by using the BBC iPlayer website on a computer or laptop so I’ll concentrate on that first. You can watch on a tablet, phone or even a Smart TV but I’ll cover that later in this guide.
If you’ve already tried to access the BBC iPlayer website in Hong Kong then you’ll know its blocked. Rather than being able to watch the programmes you want to watch you’ll hit a block message.
This can be avoided using a simple app known as a VPN. A VPN allows you to change your location which will let you watch BBC in Hong Kong. A VPN service will cost you a couple of US Dollars per month and the longer you subscribe the cheaper they become.
Follow the steps below to watch BBC in Hong Kong.
How to watch BBC in Hong Kong on a computer or laptop:
- Visit the VPN provider NordVPN by clicking here to get started. On the NordVPN website sign up to the service.
- Once you’ve signed up go to the VPN Apps section of the website and download and install either the Windows or Mac software depending on what type of device you’ve got.
- Install the software and run it. You’ll then need to login with the account details you created in Step 1.
- You’ll now be displayed with a world map, on it locate the United Kingdom and click on it. If you can’t find the UK on the map you can also press Countries and then United Kingdom from the list.
- The software will start to make connection for you but if not press the Connect button.
- Once the app has made connection visit the BBC iPlayer website where you can watch BBC TV as you wish.
That’s all there is to it. When you’ve finished simply disconnect from the NordVPN software and everything returns to normal. You can of course reconnect at any time as long as you have an active subscription with NordVPN.
Watch BBC in Hong Kong on a tablet or phone
It’s possible to watch BBC in Hong Kong on a tablet or phone but there are a few requirements.
It’s easiest if you already have the BBC iPlayer app installed on your device. If you don’t then it’s still possible to get it but it’s a little bit lengthy for an iPhone or iPad and a bit easier for an Android device.
If you’ve already got the BBC iPlayer app then read below to find out how to watch it in Hong Kong. If you still need to get it then read below these steps for steps on how to do that.
How to watch BBC in Hong Kong on a tablet or phone:
- Visit the VPN provider NordVPN which you can do by clicking right here. There’s also a 30-day money back guarantee so it’s risk free.
- Go to your regular app store such as the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store and search for ‘NordVPN’. Install the app.
- Once the app is installed open it and when required login with your account details. The account details are the ones you made when signing up.
- On the world map locate the United Kingdom and click on it, then click the Connect button.
- Once the app is connected you should open the BBC iPlayer app on your tablet or mobile, if you don’t have the app see further below in this guide on how to get it.
If you don’t already have the BBC iPlayer app installed then you’ll need to follow the instructions below.
How to get the BBC iPlayer app if you don’t have it
If you don’t have the BBC iPlayer app already installed then you should first try and install it from your regular app store.
It’s likely that you’ll be blocked from installing it because you’re in Hong Kong and it’s restricted to the UK. If this is the case then follow the instructions below.
- Go to the Settings and Security section of your phone or tablet.
- Search for the option that allows you to install apps from unknown sources and enable it. If you don’t have this option then you can skip it.
- Open your mobile web browser and enter the following URL: https://apkpure.com/bbc-iplayer/bbc.iplayer.android
- Follow the instructions on the website to download the BBC iPlayer app.
- Once it’s download open and install the app. You can find it in the Downloads section of your device.
To install the BBC iPlayer app in Hong Kong on an Apple device you’ll need to follow this guide.
Watch BBC in Hong Kong on a Smart TV
If you’ve got a Smart TV that already has the BBC iPlayer app installed then you’ll be able to watch in Hong Kong.
If you don’t have the BBC iPlayer app installed on your Smart TV already or it’s not possible to download and install it from your TV’s app store then you won’t be able to use this method and would be better using a computer, tablet or phone and trying to output the display to your TV.
If you do have the app or can install it then follow the instructions below. Rather than need a VPN like above, you’ll need a Smart DNS service.
How to watch BBC in Hong Kong on a Smart TV:
- Visit the website of StrongVPN and follow the process to sign up for their service.
- Once you’ve completed sign up head over to the StrongDNS Members Page. Select the location nearest to you from the drop down box which should be ‘Hong Kong’ and press Save.
- From the Primary and Secondary DNS sections write down the two sets of numbers. They should look something like this 220.127.116.11.
- On your Smart TV in the Network Settings section you will be able to change your DNS Setting. Change them to the two sets of numbers you wrote down from the StrongDNS website.
- Save the settings and restart your TV if required.
You’ll now be able to open the BBC iPlayer app on your Smart TV and watch BBC in Hong Kong.
If you’re having trouble locating the Network Settings on your Smart TV then refer to our Smart TV set up guide.
Recap How to watch BBC in Hong Kong
To watch BBC in Hong Kong on a computer, tablet or phone you’ll need to get a VPN app. You can get my recommended VPN app which has been tried and tested by clicking the large orange button below.
You should then follow the instructions for your particular device earlier in this guide.
If you’ve got a Smart TV then you’ll need to get yourself a SmartDNS service. Follow the instructions in the section above for this.
I would love to hear what you’ve been watching on the BBC while in Hong Kong. Why not let me and others know in the comments section below so we can find more great BBC programming.