7 Steps how to use an Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

Chris

Chris

Chris has a passion for helping you watch your favourite TV abroad. When he isn't helping you he can be found watching football, browsing Netflix or watching a good documentary.

In this guide I’m going to show you how you can use both the Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick overseas in any country in the world.

The Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick devices are excellent [If you haven’t got one yet, grab one here]. If you’ve already got one then you’ll know how handy they are. They’re especially good to help you access your favourite TV even on TVs that don’t have built in apps.

Everything from Netflix to Amazon Prime is available on them and a host of local TV services like BBC iPlayer in the UK, NBC in the US and many more.

Unfortunately though, the Amazon devices are limited to certain countries and if you’re travelling overseas or you’re an expat then they generally don’t work.

In this guide I’m going to show you a quick and easy way how you can use the Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick overseas in any country in the world.

Use Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

If you’re taking an Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick with you overseas or you’ve managed to order one and get it shipped to a country they’re not available then you should know that they ‘officially‘ won’t work.

Most of the content is restricted to the country you’re from.

If you try to use services like BBC iPlayer or other local TV services from your home country then you’ll be blocked from accessing them. If you try to access subscription services such as Netflix then you won’t be able to access home content but will instead get local content which may be more restricted than your own country.

To use the Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick overseas you’ll need to get an app called a VPN.

A VPN is a small app that allows you to protect your online privacy and as part of that, change your location to appear elsewhere.

Below I’m going to show you the simple steps you need to take to get a VPN for your Fire TV or Fire Stick and how it will help you to use your Amazon device overseas.

It’s important to note if you’re using a Fire Stick then you’ll need a Generation 2 device. It’s the one with the Alexa voice remote. Alternatively, any Fire TV will work.

Amazon Fire Stick Generation 2

Your Amazon Fire Stick should have Alexa voice remote.

How to use Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

The first step is to choose a VPN provider. There are hundreds available out there but only a few are suitable for using with the Fire TV and Fire Stick.

Three VPN services that work well with the Fire TV and Fire Stick are:

1. ExpressVPN
  2. StrongVPN
  3. IPVanish

I’ve been using ExpressVPN with my Fire Stick but you can use any of the three above as they all work well. In my example steps below I’m using ExpressVPN.

1. Visit the ExpressVPN website by clicking here and sign up for their service. You can get 3 months free on a 12-month package by using this link.
  2. Once you’ve signed up for their service go to your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick and use the Search feature to search ‘ExpressVPN’.
  3. Click on Install to download the ExpressVPN app to your Fire TV or Fire Stick.
  4. Once installed click on the ExpressVPN app and login with your the Email Address you signed up with and your Password.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete installation.
  6. Navigate to the Choose Location (1.) option and click on it. Select your home country.
  7. The app should automatically connect for you but if not press the Connect (2.) button. It’s the one that looks like a large power button.

ExpressVPN Amazon App

Once the app has connected you’ll be able to access your Amazon apps and access content from your home country.

App mileage may vary

While it’s possible to make the majority of apps on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick work using the above solution, your mileage may vary.

It’s not possible to make all apps work. One that refuses to work is Amazon Prime but the majority such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and more work well overseas.

You’ll also be able to access any blocked websites such as TV sites that don’t have apps available. If you use an app such as Silk Browser then you’ll be able to access blocked websites or services that work through Silk Browser.

Recap How to use an Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

To use an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick overseas you’ll need to install an additional app on your device called a VPN.

A VPN app allows you to change your online location to make it appear as if you’re somewhere else.

By using a VPN you can unblock many of your favourite apps and TV services overseas in any country in the world. This works even in countries where the Amazon devices aren’t available.

To get my recommended VPN, ExpressVPN, click the button below and sign up for their service. You can then install their app directly from the Amazon app store onto your Fire TV device.

Where have you been using your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick? I would love to know what countries you’re using it in and with what apps using a VPN. Why not let me and others know in the comments section below?

Comments

22 Responses

1. Reg Kennedy says:

Will it work in Finland, please? Or what about Roku? I’ve been using satellite connections but I’m having to move where dishes are not allowed.

• Chris says:

Hi Reg,

Yes, it will work in Finland and let you access Amazon apps from your home country, eg; the US, UK etc.

Unfortunately the Roku doesn’t support VPN apps so you would need a VPN router in that instance like the Invizbox 2, although these are more expensive than using a VPN app as explained in this guide.

• James says:

Have a VPN and connected. In Mongolia. But not getting all
      The
      Apps in iptv like the adult channels are gone
      Thoughts

• Chris says:

Hi James,

Difficult to say, could be a number of reasons. Either the VPN is not connected even though it is showing it is (are you using an old fire stick?) or the IPTV service has removed those specific channels.

2. Brian says:

Moving to Belgium from the US. I understand your instructions on the VPN. In doing this will Hulu work?

• Chris says:

Hi Brian,

Yes, as long as you have a valid subscription to Hulu in the US. It would be best to take a US Fire Stick (or Fire TV) with you with Hulu already pre-installed.

Also just to be 100% sure don’t sign up for the VPN until you get to Belgium or just before you leave because then you have 30-days to make sure it’s working otherwise you can get a full refund.

3. Julia says:

Good morning,

I have a job pending in South Korea. Is it worth bringing my tv ( hoping to use a transformer) when I bring my firestick? And will you explain the process of installing the vpn and when I get to S Korea, what steps need to be taken? Thank you in advance for your time and information.

• Chris says:

Hi Julia,

I’m not sure you’ll need to take your TV, unless there’s a specific reason. South Korean TVs will have a HMDI port which your Firestick will plug straight into. You may need a plug adapter though if you use it powered.

Installing and using the VPN is simple, you can either follow this guide or drop a comment here and I’ll walk you through it.

• Julia says:

Ok, thank you. I was just asking because it would be part of my household goods. I’ll check out your guidelines…stay safe

• Chris says:

Hi Julia,

Ah, that makes sense. I thought you thought you would need to take it. If you’re taking it anyway then that makes it easy. Drop us a line when you’ve made the move and we’ll walk you through the steps if you get stuck.

Good luck with the move and enjoy Korea!

4. Faiz Latiff says:

Is the netflix app installed in the fire stick itself? Or we have to pay for it to get it installed?

5. Dove says:

I want to purchase a jail broken fire stick in the USA and send it to my Mom in Haiti. Do I need to get a vpn while I’m still in the USA or do I do all those steps while I’m in Haiti when it’s connected to the Tv there. I also wanted firesticks to 2 TVs in the house. Will that work?

• Chris says:

Hi Dove,

You can do it either in the US or Haiti. Best bet is to do it near enough to you going that you can make use of their 30-day money back guarantee just in case you can’t get it working and then can get a refund.

If you’re taking two firestick then you install 1 VPN service on both, you don’t need to sign up for two services.

6. Vicki says:

Hi Chris

I bought a Firestick in the UK and sent it over to my sister in Australia. She has followed the above instructions (using express VPN etc) but she is having no luck viewing BBC iPlayer and doesnt seem to have options to download the ITVhub and All4 apps? Should I have downloaded these in the UK before sending to her?

• Chris says:

Hi Vicki,

It would have made it easier to download them in the UK but it’s not a huge problem. The Firestick should be linked to your UK Amazon account (unless your sister has physically logged out and logged into another account).

You should therefore be able to go to the Amazon website, login to your account (that the Firestick is linked to) search for the relevant apps and click install on them.

They’ll then download to the Firestick (in Australia).

For BBC iPlayer she’ll need to install Firefox web-browser (although it might work with the built in ‘Internet’) browser and visit the website directly, rather than use the app.

7. Lev says:

A question which may be silly: if I buy a Fire Stick while in the US (where it’s a little cheaper) and then take it to the UK without installing or configuring anything, I shouldn’t have any problems with UK Prime/Netflix content, should I?

• Chris says:

Hi Lev,

There’s never a silly question 😉 You shouldn’t have any problem doing that. You’ll just need to make sure you’ve got a UK Amazon account or a UK address registered on the account. You’ll then be able to use UK Prime and Netflix. You won’t need the VPN app as explained in this article as that’s only if you wanted to access content from another country, such as US Netflix in the UK.