7 Steps how to use an Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

Chris

Chris

Chris has a passion for helping you watch your favourite TV abroad. When he isn't helping you he can be found watching football, browsing Netflix or watching a good documentary.

In this guide I’m going to show you how you can use both the Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick overseas in any country in the world.

The Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick devices are excellent [If you haven’t got one yet, grab one here]. If you’ve already got one then you’ll know how handy they are. They’re especially good to help you access your favourite TV even on TVs that don’t have built in apps.

Everything from Netflix to Amazon Prime is available on them and a host of local TV services like BBC iPlayer in the UK, NBC in the US and many more.

Unfortunately though, the Amazon devices are limited to certain countries and if you’re travelling overseas or you’re an expat then they generally don’t work.

In this guide I’m going to show you a quick and easy way how you can use the Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick overseas in any country in the world.

Use Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

If you’re taking an Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick with you overseas or you’ve managed to order one and get it shipped to a country they’re not available then you should know that they ‘officially‘ won’t work.

Most of the content is restricted to the country you’re from.

If you try to use services like BBC iPlayer or other local TV services from your home country then you’ll be blocked from accessing them. If you try to access subscription services such as Netflix then you won’t be able to access home content but will instead get local content which may be more restricted than your own country.

To use the Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick overseas you’ll need to get an app called a VPN.

A VPN is a small app that allows you to protect your online privacy and as part of that, change your location to appear elsewhere.

Below I’m going to show you the simple steps you need to take to get a VPN for your Fire TV or Fire Stick and how it will help you to use your Amazon device overseas.

It’s important to note if you’re using a Fire Stick then you’ll need a Generation 2 or newer device. It’s the one with the Alexa voice remote. Alternatively, any Fire TV or Fire TV Cube will work.

Amazon Fire Stick Generation 2

Your Amazon Fire Stick should have Alexa voice remote.

How to use Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

The first step is to choose a VPN provider. There are hundreds available out there but only a few are suitable for using with the Fire TV and Fire Stick.

Three VPN services that work well with the Fire TV and Fire Stick are:

1. ExpressVPN
  2. NordVPN
  3. CyberGhost VPN

I’ve been using ExpressVPN with my Fire Stick but you can use any of the three above as they all work well. In my example steps below I’m using ExpressVPN.

1. Visit the ExpressVPN website by clicking here and sign up for their service. You can get 3 months free on a 12-month package by using this link.
  2. Once you’ve signed up for their service go to your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick and use the Search feature to search ‘ExpressVPN’.
  3. Click on Install to download the ExpressVPN app to your Fire TV or Fire Stick.
  4. Once installed click on the ExpressVPN app and login with your the Email Address you signed up with and your Password.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete installation.
  6. Navigate to the Selected Location (1.) option and click on it. Select your home country.
  7. The app should automatically connect for you but if not press the Connect (2.) button. It’s the one that looks like a large power button.

ExpressVPN app on Fire TV

Once the app has connected you’ll be able to access your Amazon apps and access content from your home country.

App mileage may vary

While it’s possible to make the majority of apps on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick work using the above solution, your mileage may vary.

It’s not possible to make all apps work. One that refuses to work is Amazon Prime but the majority such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and more work well overseas.

You’ll also be able to access any blocked websites such as TV sites that don’t have apps available. If you use an app such as Browser then you’ll be able to access blocked websites or services that work through Browser.

Recap How to use an Amazon Fire TV Stick overseas

To use an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick overseas you’ll need to install an additional app on your device called a VPN.

A VPN app allows you to change your online location to make it appear as if you’re somewhere else.

By using a VPN you can unblock many of your favourite apps and TV services overseas in any country in the world. This works even in countries where the Amazon devices aren’t available.

To get my recommended VPN, ExpressVPN, click the button below and sign up for their service. You can then install their app directly from the Amazon app store onto your Fire TV device.

30-day money back guarantee

Where have you been using your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick? I would love to know what countries you’re using it in and with what apps using a VPN. Why not let me and others know in the comments section below?

Comments

61 Responses

1. I am an expat living in Bulgaria and I would like to stream tv programmes probably using a firestick and we also have Roku what would you suggest. I would like BBC iplayer but have been told that BBC have got wise to VPN use . Would an android tv box be better?

• Chris says:

Hi Stephen,

Either an Android box or Firestick would be fine, although I’m not sure how well the Android box displays the apps on a large screen as we’ve mostly used the Firestick. Currently all major UK streaming services work fine with a VPN.

iPlayer can be a little hit and miss, with some VPN apps it will work through the iPlayer app, but with other VPN apps you need to watch via the Firestick web browser which can be a bit clunky to navigate. All the other TV services work fine via their respective Firestick app.

2. Thomas says:

Hi, I’m going to the maldives in July from ireland. I’m taking my fire stick with me so I can watch a football match. Do I need a vpn? Also Internet is not very strong there. Would that be a problem too? I would appreciate your answer on this…

Hi Thomas,

Most TV services will block you if you’re out of their intended country, some don’t but 95% do. If the football match you’re watching is on one of those that do block you then you will need a VPN.

Poor internet could be a problem, much depends on how poor it is. You’re basically sending your connection to Ireland from the Maldives and back again which means fast speeds are often a must.

My recommendation would be to sign up for a VPN just before you go and install the app on your fire stick. If it doesn’t work out most VPN providers have a 30-day money back guarantee so you’ll have plenty of time to get a refund.

Sadly, that won’t stop you missing the match, but at least you won’t be out of pocket. Enjoy the Maldives, I’m jealous!

3. jim Attrill says:

Hi, I am holidaying in France soon, can I use my amazon fire stick on a lap-top. The lap top itself is unfortunately quite old. Thank you

4. Andres says:

I just signed up using express vpn from your site. How can I use it for seychelles islands and dubai?
    Thanks

Hi,

You simply install the VPN onto your Fire TV Stick and then take the device with you to the Seychelles and Dubai. You’ll then be able to access most of your home services while you’re overseas by connecting to your home country.

5. Allan Lutton says:

I’m still a bit confused on using Firestick abroad. Can I use it in Estonia? Have just ordered one from Amazon, so do I just set it up on my tv in UK and when i get to Estonia just plug it into the tv there? Why do I need to subscribe to get a
    VPN and if so, how do I that in Estonia?

Hi Allan,

You can use it out of the box in Estonia but you won’t be able to access most UK streaming services as most are restricted to use in the YUk.

A VPN app allows you to change your location so it looks like you’re still in the UK. This will allow you to access most UK streaming services while in Estonia. You can sign up for the VPN easily either in the UK before you leave or in
      Estonia.

Most have a 30-day money back guarantee so you’ve got plenty of time to test it for your needs and if it doesn’t work out can get a refund.

I recommend setting your Firestick up in the UK to ensure you’ve got all the apps you’ll require when in Estonia. You can get these in Estonia too as long as it’s linked to your UK Amazon account but it’s less hassle if it’s set up and ready to go.

6. Angela says:

Will it work in Kenya?

7. John says:

I live in Japan but from the UK and I know nothing about Amazon fire TV sticks. I have one question regarding where to buy. I assume if I buy one in Japan everything will be in Japanese and only links to Japanese sites. Would it be better to buy one from the UK or can I get by using a Japanese stick? Which stick to buy? I will probably just use it at home on my TV. I have a UK Amazon account with a Japanese address.

Hi John,

I can’t be 100% sure but I see they sell the Fire Sticks in Japan. Usually each country comes pre-installed with localised apps. So the Japanese one is likely to come with Japanese apps.

However, given you have a UK Amazon account it should (in theory) be possible to login with your UK account details. This should let you download the UK apps as this is usually controlled by where you’ve got your Amazon account set-up for media etc.

You can then use the VPN to “unblock” them in Japan.

Again, much of this is theory and should work but I can’t be 100% sure in your circumstances. For 100% reliability you might be better ordering one in then UK and having it shipped to you, although this is probably the least cost effective when the original solution could work.

• Mike says:

Unless you are in a very strict country like China. In that case, you can’t get to the App Store to load h the vpn software. You’ll need more help. L
        Japan is not that strict.

Hi Mike,

Great point. In the case of China we recommend downloading a VPN app before you travel there. If you’re already there then it’s better to use an Android device as you can download the apk files from alternative sources than the Google Play Store.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and highlighting this.

• Chris says:

Hi ! You need to install a VPN application on your TV Fire Stick. Change location within, to the desirable Country, and that’s it. Some TV services will be for free , but Netflix, Prime Video and many others, are available with paid subscription only.

8. Amaina Ahmed says:

Hello
    I just bought fire tv stick lite :

and planning to buy express vpn to use them in Sudan. Is it a second generation stick and will wok there and if not why ?

Hi Amaina,

I’m not 100% sure about the Firestick Lite. I have a feeling it might not work with VPN, but as it’s a 2nd generation one I could be wrong.

Your best bet may be to sign up for a VPN while you’re in the UK and see if you can download and use the app. If not then you’ve got 30 days to get a full refund before you travel to Sudan.

• Wafaa says:

Hi Amaina,
      Where you able to solve the problem?
      I got one from US and i am in Sudan but I am nit able to download even “downloader”

9. Tim McIvor says:

Hi Chris
    I am from Canada but my family is travelling to Roatan, Honduras in mid February. I’m hoping to stream the SuperBowl on Feb 13th. I have purchased an ExpressVPN account and I am interested in the Firestick to access the game through CTV streaming in Canada. What I don’t know is if both ExpressVPV and the Firestick will work in Roatan. What are your thoughts?

Hi Tim

It’s highly likely to work but I can’t guarantee it 100%.

ExpressVPN works with CTV, however I haven’t tried on a Firestick. It seems there is a CTV app for the Firestick but it doesn’t get good reviews so may be unreliable.

You would definitely be able to use on another type of device like a laptop though.

Alternatively the UK’s BBC iPlayer and Australia’s 7Plus have live coverage of the Super Bowl so you would be able to watch on either of those with the same VPN service if CTV doesn’t work out for you.

10. Marko says:

Will Kodi work on fire stick with out of VPN in North Macedonia?

11. James Rovick says:

Is it best to download a vpn while still in US and connected to my tv prior to traveling to Italy

Hi James,

It doesn’t matter too much. However it may be easier to do before you leave.

I recommend doing it a few days/week before you leave that way you have the 30-day money back guarantee. If for some strange reason you couldn’t get it working in Italy then you would still be able to get a full refund.

12. Perumal Kumar says:

Do I need to subscribe the VPN app as long as I use the Fire Stick in Singapore? Does it mean I need to factored in the VPN app’s subscription before I buy a Fire Stick. That’s an added cost.

Hi Perumal,

Yes, that’s correct. You’ll need an active subscription for the time you plan to use the fire stick. So it would be an added cost on top of buying a fire stick.

13. Cheryl says:

Hello, we spend our time between the Uk and Turkey. Will this work in Turkey ?

Hi Cheryl,

Yes, this solution would work for you in Turkey as long as you have a reliable internet connection. Best to set up a Firestick in the UK and take it with you.

14. Vol says:

You stated that to install a firestick overseas “It’s important to note if you’re using a Fire Stick then you’ll need a Generation 2 device.” What about a Generation 3 device? Will that work in Argentina or is it ONLY the Generation 2?

Hi Vol,

Sorry for the confusion. It will work with all firesticks generation 3 and above. So you’ll be fine using your Gen 3 in Argentina.

15. Reg Kennedy says:

Will it work in Finland, please? Or what about Roku? I’ve been using satellite connections but I’m having to move where dishes are not allowed.

Hi Reg,

Yes, it will work in Finland and let you access Amazon apps from your home country, eg; the US, UK etc.

Unfortunately the Roku doesn’t support VPN apps so you would need a VPN router in that instance like the Invizbox 2, although these are more expensive than using a VPN app as explained in this guide.

• James says:

Have a VPN and connected. In Mongolia. But not getting all
      The
      Apps in iptv like the adult channels are gone
      Thoughts

Hi James,

Difficult to say, could be a number of reasons. Either the VPN is not connected even though it is showing it is (are you using an old fire stick?) or the IPTV service has removed those specific channels.

16. Brian says:

Moving to Belgium from the US. I understand your instructions on the VPN. In doing this will Hulu work?

Hi Brian,

Yes, as long as you have a valid subscription to Hulu in the US. It would be best to take a US Fire Stick (or Fire TV) with you with Hulu already pre-installed.

Also just to be 100% sure don’t sign up for the VPN until you get to Belgium or just before you leave because then you have 30-days to make sure it’s working otherwise you can get a full refund.

17. Julia says:

Good morning,

I have a job pending in South Korea. Is it worth bringing my tv ( hoping to use a transformer) when I bring my firestick? And will you explain the process of installing the vpn and when I get to S Korea, what steps need to be taken? Thank you in advance for your time and information.

Hi Julia,

I’m not sure you’ll need to take your TV, unless there’s a specific reason. South Korean TVs will have a HMDI port which your Firestick will plug straight into. You may need a plug adapter though if you use it powered.

Installing and using the VPN is simple, you can either follow this guide or drop a comment here and I’ll walk you through it.

• Julia says:

Ok, thank you. I was just asking because it would be part of my household goods. I’ll check out your guidelines…stay safe

Hi Julia,

Ah, that makes sense. I thought you thought you would need to take it. If you’re taking it anyway then that makes it easy. Drop us a line when you’ve made the move and we’ll walk you through the steps if you get stuck.

Good luck with the move and enjoy Korea!

• michael says:

my router doesn’t support NordVPN so if i use a Fire TV stick, where is the VPN loaded?

18. Faiz Latiff says:

Is the netflix app installed in the fire stick itself? Or we have to pay for it to get it installed?

19. Dove says:

I want to purchase a jail broken fire stick in the USA and send it to my Mom in Haiti. Do I need to get a vpn while I’m still in the USA or do I do all those steps while I’m in Haiti when it’s connected to the Tv there. I also wanted firesticks to 2 TVs in the house. Will that work?

Hi Dove,

You can do it either in the US or Haiti. Best bet is to do it near enough to you going that you can make use of their 30-day money back guarantee just in case you can’t get it working and then can get a refund.

If you’re taking two firestick then you install 1 VPN service on both, you don’t need to sign up for two services.

20. Vicki says:

Hi Chris

I bought a Firestick in the UK and sent it over to my sister in Australia. She has followed the above instructions (using express VPN etc) but she is having no luck viewing BBC iPlayer and doesnt seem to have options to download the ITVhub and All4 apps? Should I have downloaded these in the UK before sending to her?

Hi Vicki,

It would have made it easier to download them in the UK but it’s not a huge problem. The Firestick should be linked to your UK Amazon account (unless your sister has physically logged out and logged into another account).

You should therefore be able to go to the Amazon website, login to your account (that the Firestick is linked to) search for the relevant apps and click install on them.

They’ll then download to the Firestick (in Australia).

For BBC iPlayer she’ll need to install Firefox web-browser (although it might work with the built in ‘Internet’) browser and visit the website directly, rather than use the app.

21. Lev says:

A question which may be silly: if I buy a Fire Stick while in the US (where it’s a little cheaper) and then take it to the UK without installing or configuring anything, I shouldn’t have any problems with UK Prime/Netflix content, should I?

Hi Lev,

There’s never a silly question 😉 You shouldn’t have any problem doing that. You’ll just need to make sure you’ve got a UK Amazon account or a UK address registered on the account. You’ll then be able to use UK Prime and Netflix. You won’t need the VPN app as explained in this article as that’s only if you wanted to access content from another country, such as US Netflix in the UK.