How to use an Amazon Fire Stick in Mexico

Chris

Chris

Chris has a passion for helping you watch your favourite TV abroad. When he isn't helping you he can be found watching football, browsing Netflix or watching a good documentary.

Looking to use your Amazon Fire Stick (or Fire TV) in Mexico? Then this is the guide for you. I’m going to show you how in just a few simple steps.

If you’re travelling or living in Mexico and you’ve taken your Amazon Fire Stick with you then you’ve probably been disappointed to find it doesn’t work as you would expect.

If you try to use most of the apps you’ll notice they don’t work. The reason for this is because you’re outside your home country.

It doesn’t matter if you have an American, British, Indian or any other kind of Fire Stick.

The way to get around this is to use a VPN app from a provider like ExpressVPN which I’ll explain below.

You need a VPN for your Fire Stick in Mexico!

If you’re in Mexico then you need to get a VPN service.

A VPN is an app that lets you disguise your real location and make it look like you’re somewhere totally different.

With a VPN app you can be in Mexico but make your Fire Stick (or Fire TV) think you’re in the United States, or UK, or India or anywhere else in the world for that matter!

They’re really easy to use too and you can install one from the Amazon app store directly just like any other app.

I recommend using ExpressVPN because they’re a provider that supports the Amazon Fire Stick with an app and this is important because not all do. If you’ve got some time to do your own research then you’ll want to check out these three.

My Top 3 VPNs for using your Fire Stick in Mexico:

1. ExpressVPN – Highly Recommended!
    2. NordVPN
    3. CyberGhost

If you don’t have time to be shopping about (and who does these days!) then sign up for ExpressVPN. They’re easy to use and work with more services than the others.

EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Save 49% off today!

Now use the VPN with your Fire Stick

Now you’ve got a VPN you’ll need to install it on your Fire Stick to use it in Mexico.

Follow the simple steps below and you’ll be up and running in minutes. I’m using ExpressVPN but the steps are much the same with the other providers too.

How to use an Amazon Fire Stick in Mexico:

1. Visit the ExpressVPN website by clicking here, choose a subscription package and sign up for their service.
  2. Once you’ve signed up download their app on your Fire Stick by searching ‘ExpressVPN’.
  3. Click on the ExpressVPN app and then select Install, Download or Get.
  4. Press the ‘Home’ button and then select the ExpressVPN app.
  5. When the app opens login and activate it.
  6. Press Selected Location.
  7. Then select your home country, for example, United States.
  8. The app should start to connect for you but if it doesn’t press the large Connect power button.
ExpressVPN app on Fire TV

Use your Fire Stick in Mexico with ExpressVPN.

Now you’re connected to the VPN app any apps you use or services you access on your Fire Stick think you’re in the United States (or whatever country you selected).

Now you can open up any of the apps on your Fire Stick such as Netflix, NBC Sports, BBC iPlayer and others.

You’ll be able to use them as if you were in your home country.

You can even use it to access different regions of Netflix from around the world. So if for example you’ve got a US Netflix account you can connect to Canada or the UK and access their movies and TV show catalogue which differs from the American one.

30-day money back guarantee

Are there any additional costs?

No, not at all. Once you’ve got a VPN service from one of the providers recommended above there are no further costs.

You can use your Fire Stick as much as you want in Mexico. You can watch as many shows, stream as many movies and use as many apps for as long as you want in Mexico.

There are no added charges once you’ve got the VPN service.

Get 3-months VPN absolutely free!

If you’re planning on being in Mexico for a while then consider ExpressVPN’s offer.

If you take a 12-month package with them then they will give you 3-months entirely free on top. This will allow you to save 49% on the price compared to paying monthly.

Paying on a month-by-month basis is the most expensive way to pay so if you’ll be in Mexico or outside your home country for a couple of months the 12-month + 3-months deal is most cost effective.

Recap: How to use an Amazon Fire Stick in Mexico

If you want to use your Amazon Fire Stick in Mexico then you’ll need to get yourself a VPN service.

This comes as an app you download onto your Fire Stick. There are only a few reliable VPN services that work with the Amazon Fire Stick and the one I recommend is ExpressVPN.

Not only do they have a 30-day money back guarantee but they’re super simple to use. Even if you can’t get it working then you can just get your money back.

So, as a reminder, here’s what you need to do:

1. Sign up for ExpressVPN.
  2. Download their app onto your Fire Stick.
  3. Connect to your home country, eg; United States.

Enjoy using your Fire Stick in Mexico!

Use your Fire Stick in Mexico with ExpressVPN

Easy set up 30-day money back guarantee Save 49%

93% of readers chose this option

What have you been using your Amazon Fire Stick in Mexico for recently? I would love to know. Or if you get stuck and need some help just post in the comments section below.

Want more interesting articles like this? Try these out:

Comments

20 Responses

1. Colin says:

Just stating that all you need to obtain content on the Firestick in Mexico is a VPN is not entirely accurate IMHO. You absolutely need good internet speeds. At least 100Mbs “WITHOUT” your VPN active. Once your VPN is active you will notice a significant reduction in speeds, as much as 1/3 of your speed when not using the VPN. So your VPN + fast internet is a must.

• Chris says:

Appreciate your thoughts but this isn’t correct. Yes, you need good VPN speeds, however, even 4k (Ultra HD) only requires 25 Mbps at most, you wouldn’t need anywhere near 100 Mbps.

It is correct a VPN will introduce some speed loss. However, on a desktop this can be as little as 7% using a decent VPN service.

On less powerful devices you will lose more speed, but even if we take your “1/3” estimation, you would still only require something in the region of a 33 Mbps connection to stream full 4k.

Most content these days isn’t in 4k and Netflix themselves recommend you need at least 5 Mbps to stream in their regular “HD” mode. Again with a “1/3” loss, you’d need just under a 7 Mbps connection.

Most countries in the world offer this unless you’re in some extremely remote region.

• Colin says:

Ok Chris so you really think that 20 MBs down is sufficient to stream full hd? In an ideal world this may be so. But this is Mexico and lag and “noise” are huge problems that can only be circumvented with fast speeds. After 3 years of programming countless firesticks I can definatively say that anything less than 30MBs down with a vpn active is asking for lockups,disconnects, and buffering. I have 150MBs claimed speed by my IP but actually get just about 100. Often with my VPN configured for my best speed I am lucky to get 40MBs down. Adequate, but barely so. Yes lockups and buffering are reduced but that depends on many other factors not under my control I switched VPNs and using the identical protocols and settings I now get 80+ MBs. Significantly better and so is my streaming. Buffering, lockups and disconnects are dramatically reduced, but according to the “experts” 20 MBs is plenty. Unfortunately this doesn’t hold true in the real world. I DO AGREE 80 MBs is tons, but for me over 40 gives me peace of mind that I’m not going to drop my connection durong an historic moment.

• Chris says:

Hi Colin,

Good to hear from you again. I fully agree with you. 25 Mbps would be in an absolute ideal world with no other “noise” as you put it, no other services using the internet connection at the same time etc.

The ‘peace of mind’ comment is also valid and I agree. If you have the ability to have more speed then it’s certainly beneficial.

I think my original comment was more meant that you can scrape by with slower speeds, especially as a lot of content is still shown in lower resolutions.

But certainly, if you want to watch those higher quality streams, view without buffering issues or other playback problems then more speed is advantageous if it’s available to you/in your location.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and highlight these issues.

• Colin says:

One other thing I forgot to mention, the thread is referencing “Firestick” not a more poerful computer with significantly superior specs

• Colin says:

Sorry my reply wasn’t clear. The 1/3 reference was meant this way> Speed without vpn active 100MBs down with VPN active speeds are reduced to around 1/3 of your top speed so 33MBs.

2. Anita says:

I am about to purchase a fire stick and was wondering if I can get local channels when I connect my ExpressVpn to the stick. Would it be the local channels of the area the vpn is at or can I change that to the area I want?

• Chris says:

Your Firestick will come with some select channels for the country you bought the firestick in (Eg; US channels if you buy in the US). You’ll need to use a VPN if you want to access those channels while outside the country. The VPN lets you change area so you could potentially watch channels from other countries, although Amazon will probably require you to change your country account first to download those apps.

• Colin says:

Not entirely accurate comment. It is extremely simple to obtain local content with an app addition. Yes, right out of the box what you say is true but who uses it ” right out of the box”. IPTV ,for example, can provide thousands of channels.

• Chris says:

Most services known as “IPTV” are illegal. Netflix is an IPTV service, Disney+ is an IPTV service, however, they won’t work in Mexico if you’re after your localised version. The type of “IPTV” that provides “thousands of channels” is illegal.

• Julie says:

So- using the VPN – where though? On the smart — or? You say “download the VPN’ but to where/ with what device? Thanks, Julie

• Colin says:

Yes, local channels would be from where the Firestick sees you as being. So if you set the VPN to Chicago then that would be your local channels.

3. Nancy says:

I just read that my firestick will be set up according to existing wifi account. I’m not using this in the states but in Mexico. How will I set it up to wifi in Mexico?

• Chris says:

This will just be a case of connecting to your nearest Wi-Fi point. I’m not sure where you’ll be staying but hotels / apartments usually have communal Wi-Fi you can connect to. If you’re staying in a private residence then you would need an internet subscription and a router that offers Wi-Fi.

• Colin says:

Simply log in to your network. Once a connection is established activate your VPN and choose a US location like Dallas or Miami. Voila, US channels by the thousands.

4. Nancy says:

I already have Express VPN and about to buy an Amazon firestick. Do I need an ethernet adapter, or hdmi extension cable? Thank you.

• Chris says:

Hi Nancy. You don’t need a HDMI extension cable as long as the TV you’re connecting it to has a HDMI socket, which it should as almost all modern TVs will.

• Colin says:

Ethernet adapters provide the opportunity to add a direct LAN connection to the internet. “Wired” connections often allow for much less buffering than do WiFi. Remember WiFi is much the same as the old “over the air” radio signals and as such are subject to interference from any nearby source that is broadcasting a signal and are severly hampered by objects like walls.

• Chris says:

This is great advice. Where possible always use a wired connection.

It would much depend on the location of your TV and how aesthetically pleasing it would be having a cable trailing to the back of it.