On Sunday 31st June, 2015 the movie Deep Web was released.
Deep Web tells the story of Ross Ulbricht who was recently convicted of being Dread Pirate Roberts of Silk Road fame and sentenced to life in prison. The documentary movie examines the underground web delving into how the outcome of the trial will affect the future of online privacy.
Silk Road for those who haven’t been paying attention for the past few years was an online drug marketplace accessible only via the “Deep Web” or “Dark Web” as it is otherwise known. Transactions were pseudo-anonymous with users paying for drugs with the crypto-currency Bitcoin.
Silk Road was closed in 2013 after Ulbricht was arrested in San Francisco library.
How to watch the Deep Web online
The Deep Web is available on EpixHD, a movie streaming service only available in the United States. For those located in the United States simply head over to the EpixHD website Deep Web page and follow through the process to sign up.
If you’re not in the United States the website will not let you sign up directly and you’ll instead see a message to that effect.
For those outside the United States you’re going to need a service called a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN allows you to pretend you’re located in the United States. For this purpose we recommend using ExpressVPN who cost US$10 per month and offer speeds good enough to stream video across the world.
Once signed up, follow the procedure below to watch the Dark Web anywhere in the world!
- Download the required software for your device, for this example we’ll use Windows software. You can find it in the ‘Products’ section of the ExpressVPN website.
- Install and run the software and login or activate it when required.
- Then connect to a US server by pressing Choose Location (1) and then United States (2) and then Connect (3).
- Once connected visit the EpixHD website.
- Press Log In in the top right hand corner.
- In the new window press “+ SUBSCRIBE” in the bottom right hand corner.
- Press “Want To Subscribe To EPIX? Select Your TV Provider“.
- Select “Other“.
- Select “DirecTV“.
- Enter your Email Address and press Next.
- Choose a Screen Name and Password and press Next.
- Choose “Other“, tick “I’m 18 years of age or older“.
- Enter a US Zipcode, we used “90210“. Press Register.
- Now navigate to the Deep Web movie page and enjoy the movie!
Check the bottom of this article for a video guide if you get stuck.
How does a VPN work to enable this?
A VPN routes your internet data or traffic via another location. Once you’ve connected to the US server of ExpressVPN everything you do on the internet is passed directly to the United States.
In the case of EpixHD when you request to watch the Deep Web it firstly goes via the United States server of ExpressVPN and then to the EpixHD website. EpixHD see a request from the United States and so serve up the movie. The movie is then streamed back towards the United States server of ExpressVPN and then forwarded on to yourself wherever you are in the world.
VPNs are totally legal systems aimed at protecting your privacy. Mainly they’re used to encrypt your internet connection and stop anyone from snooping on what you’re doing on your home connection but more importantly when you’re out and about using public Wi-Fi networks.
As EpixHD have given you a 14 day trial you’re free to watch other movies on the service, just remember to connect to the ExpressVPN US server first. Once you’ve finished watching you simply disconnect and all your internet connection returns to normal.
There are no additional costs or fees to do this and you can watch the Deep Web at your leisure within the 14 day free trial of EpixHD.
There are hundreds of other streaming services all over the world that can be accessed with your same VPN service so why not have a search around our site or check out Google to see what else you can watch!
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net