With over 167 million subscribers, Netflix is leading the way when it comes to online streaming services. With their ever-expanding content libraries and top quality Netflix exclusives, it is easy to see why.
However, you may find that your country doesn’t have any of their own localised content yet. This is mainly due to lower subscriber rates in your region.
As subscriber rates grow, Netflix will introduce local content, but until then, many of you will need to use subtitles. You might also know them as CC or ‘Closed Captions’.
There is one problem that you might find.
Just like the lack of local content, you might find that the latest TV shows and movies haven’t been translated into your language yet, and there isn’t a guarantee that they ever will be.
Lucky for you, I have a solution.
The solution to your subtitle problem
Unfortunately, Netflix’s subtitles can fall short and will leave you unable to watch some of the latest movies and TV shows.
While some countries have access to subtitles on a specific movie or TV show, the same movie or show in another region won’t have the same selection available – crazy, huh?
To be able to watch content with subtitles from your region, there is only one solution for you.
You will need to use custom subtitles.
Custom subtitles are subtitles that have been created by individuals and uploaded to the internet for other people to use. There are many websites that offer subtitles and some are better than others.
So where can you get them and more importantly – how can you add them to Netflix?
Where to get Custom Subtitles?
The best way for you to get access to user-generated subtitles for Netflix is to use the Google Chrome extension Super Netflix.
Super Netflix is an extension available through Google Chrome that allows you to upload your own subtitle files to Netflix.
Not only that, but it allows you to change video speed, video quality and gives you control over several other settings for your video content.
What will I need?
You will need the following:
- Google Chrome web browser. Get Chrome here.
- Super Netflix Chrome Extension. Add that here.
- Subtitle archive websites – SubFlix, SubScene, or OpenSubtitles.
- A Netflix Account.
To add any subtitles you want to Netflix, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Chrome (If you don’t have it, make sure you download it first).
- Search Google for the Super Netflix Chrome Extension and install it.
- Next, you will need to open Netflix using the Google Chrome Browser and log in to your Netflix account.
- Pick the TV show or movie that you want to watch. (If it is a TV show, make sure you remember what Season and Episode you are on. You will need this in a moment).
- Visit a website that has downloads for subtitle files such as SubFlix, Subscene or OpenSubtitles and search for the movie or TV show that you want subtitles for. Once you find it, look for a file that is in your language. Then click the download button.
- Open your downloaded files folder and check to see what file type your Subtitles are. Netflix uses .dfxp which SubFlix provides. Other websites provide .srt files, but don’t worry; you can use SubFlix to convert your .srt to .dfxp files.
- SubFlix also allows you to re-sync your subtitle file before you download it. So if you know that your subtitle is slightly out, you will be able to adjust it forward or backwards as needed.
- Go back to Netflix and start playing the movie/TV show that you want to watch and then pause it, so you don’t miss anything.
- Next, press CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + T on your keyboard to open a window that will allow you to select your recently downloaded subtitle file.
- Select the file and click “Open“, this will upload the file to Netflix.
- You will now find that the subtitle is now available in the Netflix subtitle section. Ensure that you click on the subtitle to select it.
- Now you will be able to continue watching your chosen TV show or movie with subtitles, so sit back and enjoy.
The only downside to using Super Netflix is that the method can be slightly time-consuming.
You will need to download subtitle files for each and every TV episode that you want to watch, and with some shows having 20+ episodes per season, it can be frustrating.
However, it is much better than not being able to watch the shows at all. And as it stands, this is the best option out there.
Using subtitles on Netflix can sometimes be frustrating as the language you are looking for can be unavailable leaving you unable to watch many great TV shows and movies.
To add custom subtitles to any movie or TV show, you can use Super Netflix.
Super Netflix is a Google Chrome Extension that allows you to add custom subtitles to Netflix. You can find the subtitles on websites such as SubFlix, SubScene, or OpenSubtitles.
Now you can sit back and enjoy watching everything Netflix has to offer you in your preferred language.